Gene L. Watterson, Jr., M.D.
Dr. Gene Watterson is a board-certified, fellowship-trained rheumatologist whose area of expertise includes general rheumatology and metabolic bone disorders. He specializes in diagnosing and providing care for a wide range of systemic and musculoskeletal disorders, including fibromyalgia. Dr. Watterson strives to provide each patient with the highest level of individualized care possible and is dedicated to helping his patients find the treatment solution that is right for them and gets them back to enjoying the life they love.
After graduating from The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa with his Bachelor of Science degree, Dr. Watterson attended medical school at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, earning his Doctor of Medicine degree. Following medical school, he completed an internship at the Methodist University Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, and then his internal medicine residency training at Carraway Methodist Medical Center in Birmingham, Alabama. Dr. Watterson elected to undergo additional training after residency and completed a clinical immunology and rheumatology fellowship at The University of Alabama at Birmingham.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Watterson enjoys music, including music composition and performance.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Doctor of Medicine: University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL
- Internship: Methodist University Hospital, Memphis, TN
- Internal Medicine Residency: Carraway Methodist Medical Center, Birmingham, AL
- Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology Fellowship: The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
- Board Certification: American Board of Internal Medicine
- American College of Physicians
- American College of Rheumatology
- Jefferson County Medical Society
- Medical Association of the State of Alabama
- St. Vincent’s East Hospital